One of the greatest debates of our time is the age-old question, “Do you wear socks to bed?” Regardless of your response, your friends and family have likely poked fun at your answer. But is it really a matter of preference, or is there science behind being sock-on or sock-off?
IS IT HEALTHY TO WEAR SOCKS WHILE SLEEPING?
While 44% of Americans are anti-socks while sleeping, and 29% are on the fence, that last 28% of people who think socks rock may be on to something.
- Regulates Body Temperature: Wearing socks to bed can help you fall asleep faster because wearing socks can help regulate your core body temperature. For the same reason, wearing socks while you sleep can also help prevent hot flashes caused by menopause as well as help fight symptoms of Raynaud’s Syndrome, a condition that causes the restriction of arteries in the hands in feet when exposed to the cold.
- Can Help With Insomnia: Warming the skin before bed is proven to help induce sleep in individuals with insomnia. Socks can be particularly helpful because they keep the skin warm throughout the night.
- Wearing Fun Patterned Socks Can Improve Mental Health: Wearing socks that are brightly colored or a have fun pattern can help you express yourself, improving mood and self esteem, which is linked to a more restful night’s sleep.
- Circulation: It’s not ideal to wear socks to bed if you have a circulatory issue, such as swelling in the legs and feet. Often, individuals with these issues will turn to compression socks to help increase blood flow, but these aren’t meant to be worn to bed. If you’re unsure whether or not you should wear socks to bed, be sure to consult with your physician.
- Potential for Infection: While wearing socks to bed is definitely warm and cozy, it can also create a breeding ground for bacteria. The best way to avoid this is by wearing a new pair of socks daily, and opting for socks made from cotton, cashmere, or another antimicrobial material.
SUBSTITUTES FOR WEARING SOCKS TO BED
If you still aren’t convinced that socks are your perfect pair, there are other practices that can be incorporated into your sleep routine to increase your chances of a restful night’s sleep, such as weighted blankets or the use of an adjustable base.
While the warmness of socks can be calming and help induce sleep, many people prefer a more cooling environment to fall asleep at night. The added weight of a weighted blanket can help with anxiety and provide a calming feeling, and some are made of materials that will help keep you cool while you sleep.
Adjustable bases can address some of the same issues that socks do. Using your adjustable base to raise your feet at night can assist with blood flow, circulation, and swelling. Adjustable bases may also help people with sleep disorders find a more comfortable position to sleep in.
GETTING THE BEST SLEEP POSSIBLE
Whether you're “team sock” or not, it’s safe to assume you’re “team sleep.” Sleep is a very personalized experience, and no matter what sleep issue you have, Mattress Warehouse has a variety of solutions sure to suit your preferences. Head to your local store to chat with one of our associates and test our diagnostic bedMATCH sleep system, designed to find you a list of mattresses perfect for your body’s specific needs, or head to our website to talk to an online agent. Also, be sure to follow us on social media (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and TikTok) for more sleep tips and announcements about our latest sales!